Featured Post

1100 Playwright Interviews

1100 Playwright Interviews A Sean Abley Rob Ackerman E.E. Adams Johnna Adams Liz Duffy Adams Tony Adams David Adjmi Keith Josef Adkins Nicc...

Stageplays.com

Oct 3, 2015

I Interview Playwrights Part 791: Amber Ruffin




Amber Ruffin

Hometown: Omaha, NE

Current Town: NY, NY

Q:  What are you working on now?

A:  I'm currently fiddling with a few musicals. My favorite at the moment is Bigfoot.

Q:  Tell me, if you will, a story from your childhood that explains who you are as a writer or as a person.

A:  I'm the youngest of 5 of mostly girls, so I was severely encouraged growing up. I'm really lucky in that way. No one had the guts to say what I was doing was dumb.

Q:  If you could change one thing about theater, what would it be?

A:  I'd cut 20 minutes out of most shows I see. I have always felt every show could be a lot shorter. King Of Kong: A Musical Parody is only an hour, and I love that because you can bring your boyfriend and he won't cry.

Q:  Who are or were your theatrical heroes?

A:  My theatrical heroes are all Second City people. People like Christina Anthony and Angela Shelton. I saw them early on and thought, there's no way I could ever do this.

Q:  What kind of theater excites you?

A:  I love every musical I've ever seen. Even the bad ones are great! There is something about being brave enough to let people hear the songs you sing in your head that I can't get enough of.

Q:  What advice do you have for playwrights just starting out?

A:  I've found it's important to be able to point to a body of work. People tend to stop after one project, but, you should have a pile of shows that you've worked hard on.

Q:  Plugs, please:

A:  King of Kong: A Musical Parody will be at Onyx Theater in Vegas the weekend of October 9th!
Serial Killers at Sacred Fools theater in LA is most Saturdays!

our website is www.kingofkongmusical.com



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enter Your Email To Have New Blog Posts Sent To You

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Support The Blog
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mailing list to be invited to Adam's events
Email:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Books by Adam (Amazon)

No comments: